Monday, August 4, 2008

God is constantly showing me new things and making me think differently here. Today, I spent a considerable amount of time on the telephone with my mother. Making a call for either one of us is never easy: access codes, menus, pin numbers, and area codes need to be hurdled before the phone number itself can be dialed. My phone credit expired, and she had to call me back. Talking to her was wonderful, but I was frustrated with inefficiency, the way I have been numerous times here. I hate phone credit!!!!

But then I encountered Frank, the handyman here at the hotel. Frank has been immeasurably kind to us: he cleans dog messes off our doorway, does various repairs, sweeps the stairways, and always goes above the call of duty for us, whether it be giving us the choicest avocados or carrying my 58-pound suitcase down 50 stairs for me on his bony frame--in the pouring Jamaica rain!

Soon after I had finished my phone call, Frank pulled me aside and held out an ancient cell phone and two Digicel phone cards. (Digicel is the service provider on the island: you buy a prepaid card and enter it into your phone so that you have credit stored to make calls.) He asked me if I knew how to put credit onto a phone. I spent some time sitting with Frank, teaching him the complicated process of codes, voucher numbers, and access codes. Realizing his difficulties at understanding numbers, I made up a few fun names for the symbols and then made a color-coded chart with the phone symbols so that he would be able to check his balance in the future.

“You good, man” he said to me. He commented that I knew how to read, that I knew my numbers, that I could write and draw quickly, and that I knew how to drive. He struggled to find the words to explain his amazement, and then laughed. “You got the training when you were small, man?”

Yes, Frank. Like the rest of my American community mates, I have had a life of unbelievable privilege. I was given not only basic training in numbers and letters, but I was granted four years at one of the better colleges in the Southern New England area. Making a phone call in Jamaica is an inconvenience, not a confusing obstacle course of letters, numbers, and symbols that make no sense to me. I asked Frank how long he had had the phone:

"Six, maybe seven month."
"Seven months with a phone, Frank, and you're just putting credit on now?"
"Yeah, man."

Six or seven months with a cell phone, but with no means to make the phone call. He was profusely grateful, and kept telling me how good I was. I’m not good, Frank. I’m just the recipient of the benefits of the developed world. Frank is the good one. Frank has been a good friend and has done everything to make sure we are happy, safe, and comfortable.

I’m not sure why Frank asked me to help him today. Maybe it’s because he always sees on my morning run and we chat, maybe its because he saw me effectively making and receiving phone calls to my family today, or maybe it's just because I'm American and he figured I'd know how to do it. I was thrilled to be able to spend some time with this man. He does so much for us, and to be able to share my basic technical knowledge of cell phones is a joy. I’m not sure who he will call, but my meager few weeks here have shown me just how precious communication is.

I am grateful to have Frank as a friend. And, I am grateful to Frank for reminding me just how easy I have it next to the rest of Jamaica...and for challenging one of my concepts of reality.

That is how it is in Jamaica: small interactions rock my world and my definition of life. The triggers are not earth shattering; they are not announced with cymbals and thunderstorms. It is my evolving thought process that is earth shattering. I look forward to some more challenges to the way I view the world.

6 comments:

P. Lambert said...

Betsy,
Your blogs have been interesting. It opens my eyes to the things we take for granted here in the US.
I enjoy reading about your survival in the Jamaican world. Take care of yourself!

kogrady said...

Hi Betsy,
I have really enjoyed reading your blogs. You are quite a talented writer, but I knew that. Your insights are thought provoking to say the least and I am always reminded to say a prayer of thanks for all of the blessings we take for granted. Be well, stay happy.
Love
Auntie Kathleen

Unknown said...

Betsy,
I really enjoyed reading your blogs about your work in Jamaica. You are truly one of gods angels, and a very special member of the "O" family. Just know that we are are all extremely proud of you, and your noble ambitions. Good luck out there, and let us know if there is anything you, or your friends need. I look forward to future entries on your blog.
Love
Cousin Mike, Maria, & Dylan

SMC said...

Betsy-
I feel just SO blessed to be have found and to be reading your blog. I read the article about you in the Rhode Island Catholic and was so touched, so proud of you! And quite frankly, I am grateful to God for how He is using you to serve our brothers and sisters in Christ.

I spent some time in Jamaica last year in Montego Bay, serving Mustard Seed Communities. www.mustardseed.com. I can email you later, but in your time there, make a point to seek out Mustard Seed. You will fall in love the with the children and their caregivers. They have a community in Kingston. My time there was only a week, and my soul was moved. I look forward to returning once I finish my masters in Speech Language Pathology in a year. ANyway... this is turning into an email instead of a "comment." The founder of Mustard Seed, Fr. Gregory, was awarded an honorary degree from PC this year... do you remember him?
Ok... I'll email you! Blessings to you, and know that you are in my prayers.

-Shannon Clarkin

Jana Belle said...

It's the little things, the man you meet in the morning, the kid you see in the dirty window, the woman selling woven baskets on the corner who smiles at you. I am so glad you are seeing these beautiful little blessings and love in the lives of other people, not in the 'big thunderous' things...God will continue to reveal Himself to you, keep your eyes and heart open bets, i miss and love you.--Jana

Anonymous said...

Betsy.. I am simply so proud to know you and to have you has a friend.
~Lisa